20 questions you need to ask your parents (or grandparents)
Below you'll find 20 great questions to ask your parents or grandparents. But first, some background. I was reading a book recently and came across a sentence that stopped me cold: “If you see your mom twice a year and she is 75, you'll probably see her only 25 more times.” The author, Amit Sood, wasn’t trying to be depressing. In fact, it was quite the reverse, he was trying to wake people up to the transience of life and that you should make the most of the time you have with loved ones. When you are with them, really be with them, and value that time.
A fun and meaningful way to spend time with your parents or grandparents is to interview them. Taking an opportunity to have deeper conversations about our loved ones’ experiences, insights and perspectives is something we rarely do, but can help you feel closer to them - even if you’ve known them your whole life. Plus, you might be surprised what you learn about them - and yourself along the way.
At A Life Untold our mission is to make it easy, fun and affordable for absolutely anyone to record their life story. Our process is based on encouraging people to answer 101 thought-provoking questions about their many different “life chapters”. Want to give it a try? Here are just 20 great questions that will start an eye-opening conversation. When you next see your parents or grandparents, sit down with them and ask them these questions. Don’t forget to record their responses, so they can be shared with the rest of your family. We promise it’ll be one of the most insightful conversations you’ve ever had.
20 questions to ask your parents (or grandparents)
- What’s your favorite: Book, Movie, Musician, Quote, Animal, Word...
- If you could share a meal with anyone in the world, who would it be and why?
- What advice would you give to your 18 year old self?
- If you could click your fingers and make one change in the world, what would it be and why?
- Think back to a major turning point in your life. What happened?
- If you could go back to any age in your life, what age would that be and why?
- How do you define a “good” or “successful” life?
- What’s the best and worst advice that you’ve ever been given?
- How do you feel about getting older?
- What’s one thing you’ve always wanted but still don’t have?
- What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received?
- What do you think has stayed the same about you throughout your life? What do you think has changed?
- If you could have just one of these qualities; rich, intelligent or good looking, which would you choose and why?
- What’s your favourite topic of conversation? What do you least like talking about?
- What do you think is the key to a successful relationship?
- When you first met your partner, what were your first impressions of that person?
- What’s the first memory that springs to mind when you think back on your wedding day?
- What's the most valuable thing your parents taught you?
- What is one thing your children have taught you?
- What was your proudest moment as a parent?
Enjoy your conversation? Turn your parent or grandparents’ life story into a printed book that your family will treasure forever. Find out more about our process.
PLAN - PRICE
WRITE MY OWN STORY
Receive your life story as a professionally designed hardcover book (plus a digital e-book)
Complete an interview about your life
Free shipping to the USA, Canada, Australia, NZ and the UK
90 day money back guarantee
GIVE A GIFT
Make it easy for a loved one to record their life story into a professionally designed hardcover book
Perfect for birthdays, anniversaries and special occasions
Order extra copies for friends and family
90 day money back guarantee